A Social Enterprise FOR Base of the pyramid markets
The BASE OF THE PYRAMID
More than 4 billion people live at the base of the economic pyramid, with less than $1,500 in annual income per capita. These 4 billion people are the most underserved human population; as such, they often lack financial and physical access to life-saving technologies, medicines, and safe drinking water.
FOLIA WATER'S SOCIAL MISSION
Folia Water is a social enterprise and a Pennsylvania Benefit Corporation. As such, we operate according to a triple bottom line: People, Planet, & Profit.
- Provide safe water to billions in the developing world at a price they can easily afford.
- Create jobs and opportunities in the developing world for micro-entrepreneur retailers as well as local and regional suppliers, manufacturers, and distribution partners.
- Catalyze economic development everywhere that Folia Water operates: Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Cape Town, and more.
- Prevent the environmental impacts associated with current methods of purifying water (burning wood for boiling water, or using harmful chemicals such as chlorine).
- Ensure that all Folia Filters use ethically-sourced wood pulp and are biodegradable and recyclable at end-of-life.
- Locally source materials when possible to minimize carbon footprint.
- Make a sustainable profit to reinvest in scaling Folia Water's efforts worldwide.
- Reinvest in research & development of new technologies to improve lives in Base of the Pyramid markets.
- Give generously to good causes and NGO partners in the developing world.
Folia Water is proud to partner with BoP Hub. BoP Hub was established in 2011 with a vision to design business to end poverty. A Singapore-based business accelerator platform, BoP Hub's mission is to catalyze and strengthen cross-sector collaboration and participation in social entrepreneurship.