- To reach the 4 billion people earning less than $10 per day, we need to keep our product costs down.
- One penny per person per day
- Each filter paper weighs only a few grams.
- Paper is easily flat-packable to fit tens of thousands of filters per pallet shipment.
- Once Folia Filters have reached the end of their product lifetime, they can be recycled.
- Paper is biodegradable.
- No heat required.
- No pumps required
- No electricity or power needed.
Simple enough for a 5 year old to use correctly!
- Our Keystone Funnel filter holder can attach to a wide variety of regular household items, including soda bottles, water bottles, jerry cans, buckets, glasses, and cups.
- The funnel can be easily hung from the side clips or attached to a clip onto a bag.
- This saves our customers money and space in their households.
Where Folia Filters™ are providing clean water:
How Folia Filters eliminate microbes:
Watch demos of the simplest way to clean your water!
In September 2016, Folia Water worked with the nonprofit Shoulder to Shoulders in rural Honduras to hand out filters to households. Here, a mother is showing us how she uses her Folia Filter.
Folia Water Co-founder, Dr. Teri
In the Western Cape Province of South Africa, Dr. Teri Dankovich demonstrates the correct usage of the Folia Filters.
Folia Water worked with Unilever China Small Actions Big Difference team to create a Chinese edition of the Safe Water Book.
How to use our Folia Filters
Step 1: Create a folded cone from a circle
- Fold the round piece of filter paper in half and form a crease. Then, fold it again in half and crease to produce a quarter circle.
- One outer layer of paper is separated from the other three (not two and two!) and the opening is made wider by squeezing slightly together at the creases.
- TIP: The filter does not work as a water filter if it is cut and taped or glued closed. It is very difficult to get a water tight seal, and can leave small holes in the filter seam, leading to irregular antimicrobial performance.
Step 2: Place the folded cone into the Keystone Funnel
- To use, the conical shaped piece of filter paper can be placed in any funnel, but we recommend using our Keystone Funnel, which has been designed to fit the folded cone exactly.
- After placing the paper cone in the funnel, it stays in place best by slightly wetting the filter paper with water.
- Snap the lid of the funnel onto the large round funnel opening. Be sure to twist the lid into place.
Step 3: Attach the base of Keystone Funnel to the empty (bottom) bottle
- The Keystone Funnel™ has been originally designed to as a connector to hold the filter paper in place between two bottles.
- Put on the Keystone Funnel's plastic thread cap, and screw the base (narrower end) of the Keystone Funnel onto a clean, empty bottle or other water container.
Step 4: Attach the lid of the Keystone Funnel to the full (top) bottle
- Turn the empty bottle and Keystone Funnel over and screw the Keystone Funnel's lid onto the bottle of dirty water.
Step 5: Do "The Flip"
In one fluid motion, quickly flip the whole system over to initiate gravity-based filtration. It will take around 15-20 minutes to filter 2 liters of water. When filtration is complete, remove the Keystone Funnel and drink safe water.
TIP: Do not hold the bottles in parallel to the ground for very long during the flip. This can cause water leakage from the funnel and result in a big mess!